Locally Owned. Committed to Sustainability and Knowing our Sources.
That's how Flying Fish has operated since we opened in Sandpoint, Idaho in 1979. We're in our eighth year in Portland, with seafood from local fishermen and women, meat from local family farms, and non-local options from only trusted, reputable sources.
We're happy to be a part of the community at Providore Fine Foods in Northeast Portland.
Thank you for your support!
Welcome to Flying Fish Company
Sustainable seafood, grass-fed beef, lamb, buffalo, and elk. Local farm eggs. Local chicken. Real wasabi and more!
FREE delivery with promo code FREEFLYING
Current Fresh List ~ January 18 - 25
* = Sushi grade
Oregon Dungeness Crab (Whole) $$$
Season's in - they're back!!
Oregon Dungeness Crab Meat $$$
Precooked and picked
Creative King/Chinook Salmon $$$
Certified organic farm, Canada
ORA King/Chinook Salmon $$$
Sustainable farm-raised, New Zealand
Hawaii Bigeye Ahi Tuna* $$$
Cherry red flesh, deep tuna flavor
Hawaii Tombo* $$$
Wild Albacore Tuna from the deep blue Pacific
Hawaii Kampachi* $$$
An absolute delight, Hawaiian raised
Hawaii Escolar/Walu* $$$
Butterfish, rich and delish
Oregon Petrale Sole $$$
Mild & nutty, buddy
Oregon Rockfish $$$
White, flaky, and chunky
Oregon Black Cod/Sablefish $$$
A Northwest delicacy
Striped Bass $$$
Stripers sustainably farm-raised in Mexico
Washington Steelhead $$
Melts in your mouth. Sustainably raised
Rainbow Trout $$
Sustainably raised, vegetarian fed, McFarland Farms, CA
Manila Clams $
Shucked Oysters $$
Heat up the BBQ. Willapa Bay, WA
Savory Clams $
Mediterranean Mussels $
Actually grown in Puget Sound, go figure
Atlantic Scallops* $$$
Dry pack, chemical free (Massachusetts)
Mediterranean Branzino $$$
Whole fish, 1 lb apiece, from Greece
Plus TONS OF OYSTERS
Always changing, read below, call ahead or just stop by
Plus TONS OF MEAT, lots of cuts
- Fresh Pork:
- Tails & Trotters - Portland, OR
- Fresh Beef:
- Painted Hills - John Day, OR
- Carman Ranch - Wallowa Valley, OR
- Laney Family Farms - Canby, OR
- Fresh Chicken:
- Marion Acres - Hillsboro, OR
- Totum Farm - Philomath, OR
- Fresh Lamb:
- Reister Farms - Washougal, WA
- Fresh Eggs:
- Chicken Scratch - chicken eggs
- Stones Throw - duck eggs
- North Coast - quail eggs
- House-made Meat Products:
- Sausage links
- Sausage bulk
- Ground beef bulk
And lots more fish and meat in the freezer.
FLYING FISH THINGS ARE HAPPENIN'
FLYING DEPARTURE CITRUS CHALLENGE TAKEOVER: TOMORROW!
Hot damn, hot diggy, hot dockadoodledoo - @cheftag's takeover arrives TOMORROW - and there are only three seats left! Trever Gilbert, Sous Chef from Departure, brings his artistic eyes and exquisite palate with a twist o' citrus for two seatings tomorrow, Saturday, January 19th. Eight different presentation sensations will be plated for intimate groups of 8, max. Have a look at the menu HERE, and choose from the 6pm seating HERE (one seat left!), or the 8pm seating HERE (two seats left!). $100pp, wine pairing available for $20.
* * *
JANUARY 2019 HEALTHY COOKING CLASS ROLLING, FEBRUARY DATES TBA SHORTLY
So far so good in our new Healthy Cooking series with the homie Chef Andre Uribe. The first two classes have been a blast, and there's one left in the January trio, this Monday the 21st's Bone Broth & Healthy Fats Class. There are only two seats left for this one too, so don't snooze. As the name implies, this one covers bone broth and healthy fats, but also sauces, food safety, preserving food and much more. SIGN UP HERE ($80pp).
* * *
SHUCK YEAH, PORTLAND
One final announcement: Shuck returns in TWO WEEKS! Portland's first and only citywide oyster festival (which Flying Fish helps organize) runs Saturday to Saturday, February 2nd to 9th, all across the city. You won't want to miss the opening party, though. We've challenged ourselves (and yourselves) to down 5,000 oysters - five thousand - and dance the night away at The Redd on Salmon. The city's best new party space, from the minds of Ecotrust, is a working hub with a mission devoted to equitability and sustainability. That includes the restoration of a historically industrial building in an industrial neighborhood (Central Eastside), and the spot is a beaut. And besides, where else would you want to celebrate oysters than on Salmon? HIYO. Hit us up, it's gonna be a hoot! More info, visit shuckportland.com and follow @shuckportland on the Instant Graham.
CRAB STACKIN' AND FRESH STEPPIN'
Tis, as they say, THE SEASON. Local Dungeness Crab season is rocking, and it is rolling too. Ten bucks a pound, that's the story for whole, cooked, local Dungeness Crabs, pictured at right for your enjoyment and perhaps a little persuasion.
Crabs, we got em, and they lead the freshie fresh list, happening NOW:
FRESHIE FRESH SHELLFISHES
- Dungeness Crab - wild, cooked, whole crab, Oregon/Washington
- Dungeness Crab Meat - wild, cooked and picked, OR/WA
- Mediterranean Mussels - sustainable farm-raised, Washington
- Manila Clams - sustainable farm-raised, Washington
- Shucked Oysters - sustainable farm-raised, Willapa Bay, Washington
- Atlantic Scallops - wild, Massachusetts
* * *
LIVE WITH ALOHA
Hot damn, hot diggy, hot dockadoodledoo. That Tombo Combo over on the right is but a wee taste of the high Hawaiian hot stuff coming in fresh from Honolulu. Tombo is the Hawaiian word for Albacore Tuna, which is caught via longline one at a time in the deep blue Pacific off of the American archipelago. Currently we've got a grand slam of Aloha Freshies and one Aloha Freezie worth your attention. It leads the Freshies and a Freezie, right HERE:
THE FRESHIES AND A FREEZY
- Tombo (Albacore Tuna)* - wild, Hawaii
- Kampachi* - sustainable farm-raised, Hawaii
- Bigeye Ahi Tuna* - wild, Hawaii
- Escolar/Walu* - wild, Hawaii
- Sweet Shrimp/Ama Ebi - wild, Hawaii (FROZEN)
- Striped Bass - sustainable farm-raised, Mexico
- Black Cod/Sablefish - wild, Oregon
- Petrale Sole - wild, Oregon
- Rockfish - wild, Oregon, fillets and whole fish
- King/Chinook Salmon - sustainable farm-raised, Creative Salmon, BC Canada
- King/Chinook Salmon - sustainable farm-raised, Ora King Salmon, New Zealand
- Branzino - sustainable farm-raised, Greece
- Steelhead - sustainable farm-raised, Washington
* - Sushi grade
And finally, a moment for the smoked fishes and other products we carry in the shop.
- Cold Smoked King Salmon Lox
- Smoked Steelhead***
- Smoked ORA King Salmon ***
- Smoked Scallops
- Smoked Willapa Bay Oysters (shucked)
- Smoked Rainbow Trout
*** - Gildersleeve family recipe (Flying Fish product)
AND FINALLY A SHOUTOUT TO THE OTHER FOOD ITEMS WE CARRY THAT ARE NEITHER FISH NOR MEAT
- Sushi Rice
- Nori (seaweed sushi paper)
- Sushi Vinegar
- Pickled Ginger
- Wasabi Root (Oregon Coast grown!)
- Chimichurri sauce
- Raw Goat's Milk
- White Miso
- Red Miso
- Squid Ink
- Cedar Planks
- Local Beer
- Local Wine
- Local Saké
- ... AND MORE
BONELESS LOIN CHOPS, ANYONE?
Imagine you've just finished a run in the misty Portland rain, and you return home to find your partner/roommate/imaginary friend with this pan of sizzling goodness filling your house with the intoxicating aroma of shallots sliced so thin they melt with the butter, topped by boneless cuts sliced maaaybe a quarter-inch thick. Flip, season with garlic powder and pepper, garnish with thyme leaves, serve with sesame-ginger roasted broccoli and pair with a Cooper Mountain Chardonnay, conveniently located here on our shelves. Voilà, dinner is served.
Here come the meats.
FRESH MEAT CHARGE
- Tails & Trotters, Portland, OR: boneless loin chops, coppa, pork belly
- Painted Hills, pasture-raised, John Day, OR: boneless ribeye, bone-in ribeye
- Laney Family Farms, Canby, OR - flat iron, stew meat, ground beef
- Carman Ranch, grass-fed, Wallowa Valley, OR: hangar steak, coulotte, flank, top sirloin, ribeye, short rib
- Reister Farms, Washougal, WA: shanks, sirloin steak, ground lamb
HOUSE-MADE MEAT PRODUCTS
- Sausage: Spicy Italian and Mild Italian.
PLEASE NOTE: Cuts and supply subject to change, what with being a market and all. Inquire within, and do check out the freezer for further options still. Thank you.
THIS SECTION IS CALLED THE OYSTER CLOISTER
This rhyming literary device is not to be confused with the Flying Fish Oyster Bar, our eight-seat timber bar with currently ELEVEN varieties of delicious, ice cold oysters shucked on the spot for your pleasure. You may have them in-house with wine, you may take them with you, that's fine. You can also get a smoked fish platter, and what your friends say, it doesn't matter.
Everybody doowutchyaliiike. (Oooh! I see guys and girls dancing.) Doowutchyalink.
11 FRESH OYSTERS FOR YOUR PLEASURE
- Baywater Sweet
- Chelsea Gem
- Hoxie Cove
- Pickering Pass
Aaand the standard statement that the Oyster Bar also carries delicious fresh seasonal dishes made in-house, soups, stocks, and everything's available to be paired with beer, wine, or saké. The world is your oyster, and we are your Oyster Bar. Come and see us.
@FLYINGFISHPDX SIGNOFF AND DISCLAIMER
Typical and necessary disclaimer!
1) All of the above is just this week's freshness. Check the freezers for even more fishes and meats!
2) This email was accurate at the time of its weekly(ish) writing. Some products come and go quicker than others, so for best results on the freshness, follow us on the social medias: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. And tag us in your Instagram pics @flyingfishpdx - we love seeing your food pics!
Lyf Gildersleeve and the Flying Fish Team: Justin, Ryan, Andre, Kevin, Scott, Nic and Brad
* * *
INSTAGRAM JAM O' THE WEEK:
This one's for our guy @gg30000: thanks for the love - and thanks for loaning your sous! Gregory Gourdet is the Director of Culinary Operations at the legendary Departure, and he would like you to know that the kitchen model is happening now and Departure will reopen on Sunday, February 3rd. Talk about a Super Sunday.
Craig Gildersleeve opened Flying Fish Company in Sandpoint, Idaho in 1979 - the year before his son Lyf was born. Lyf, president of Flying Fish Company, has spent his entire life around fish, including an aquaculture education at the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University.
Flying Fish has four locations: Sandpoint, Idaho; Durango, Colorado; Park City, Utah; and Portland, Oregon. The Portland location opened in 2009 as a food cart at the D Street pod on Division Street. In 2011, we opened the fish shack on Hawthorne Boulevard. In 2016, we joined forces with our friends at Providore Fine Foods on Sandy Boulevard, and in 2017, we moved all our operations there. One location, one family, everything you need.
* * *
Thank you for supporting our family-owned business.
- Lyf, Natalie, Juniper, and Miles Gildersleeve
* * *
PHOTO BY NATALIE GILDERSLEEVE PHOTOGRAPHY: The kids have a buddy. Her name is Hazel.
FLYING FISH COMPANY * THE MEAT MONGERS * FLYING FISH OYSTER BAR
2340 NE Sandy Blvd * Portland, Oregon 97232 * 971-806-6747